SEN Teaching Assistant – Canterbury – ASAP
Location: Canterbury, Kent
Contract: Full time, Permanent
Start date: September
Salary: Kent Range 3 £13,920 (fte £18,425) plus SEN Allowance of £1323
Twenty 4 Seven Education are thrilled to be working alongside a dedicated special needs school in Canterbury, Kent, who is looking to fill six teaching assistant vacancies. The roles will start in September and are full time, permanent positions.
This ‘Good’ Ofsted rated SEN School caters for KS2-KS4 students, with class sizes ranging from 8 to 12. All of the students here have distinct Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs and their own Education Health Care Plans (EHCPs). Therefore, the staff work hard to create a nurturing environment in which all students can make progress and access the dynamic curriculum on offer.
As a teaching assistant in a special school, you should be prepared to:
– Support class teachers as directed
– Work 1:1 with a range of pupils, each with their own specific needs, to help them to access the curriculum and make progress
– Work with pupils in small groups
– Get to know specific pupils, understanding their EHCPs so that you can support them in the best way possible
– Help to prepare displays and resources to celebrate and support pupils’ learning
– Be prepared to have conversations with teachers, SENCO or parents about students’ progress and how best to support them
– You must be patient, compassionate, calm and approachable
– You must have a desire to make a difference to the progress- academic, social and/or personal- of SEMH pupils
– Knowledge of the additional SEMH needs that a child may have, and how to support them, is key
– A Teaching Assistant qualification is desirable, preferably with specific SEND knowledge
– You should have a successful track record of working with pupils of a similar age range
– Classroom-based experience is useful
What you need to do now:
If you’re interested in this role, please click ‘apply now.’
Your consultant will be in touch with you to arrange the next steps in the recruitment process.
If this position isn’t quite right for you but you are looking for a new job in education, please still contact your local Kent office on 01843 264 560 for a confidential discussion on your career and different opportunities that are available.