Assistant SENCO – Coventry – ASAP
Paid – To scale
A leading Independent School are seeking to appoint a full time permanent Assistant SENCO who will assist the Head of Learning Support in running the Department.
This will involve supporting staff in acquiring skills of good practice to identify students with SEN and to deliver the curriculum to them. They will also take responsibility for internal assessments and exam access arrangements and assist in the provision and coordination of KS3/KS4 interventions.
If interested the School requires a completed application form no later than Monday 16th May.
This Independent Co-Educational Day School in Coventry caters for children aged 3 to 18 years old. The history of academic prowess, sporting spirit and musical passion is the foundation on which this school stands. This solid foundation, excellent teaching and extensive co-curricular opportunities means there is no limit to what pupils can achieve. This school is a community of learners, who will become the leaders of the future. They nurture the curiosity of their youngest pupils and encourage a love of learning as they progress through their educational journey with them.
Main activities and responsibilities:
* To implement the school’s SEND strategy and policy
* Carry out assessments of pupils with SEN and support colleagues to identify needs and monitor progress – including observations in the classroom and meeting with teachers and parents
* Work with classroom teachers, parents and relevant external agencies to develop, implement, co-ordinate and monitor individual support/learning plans and strategies
* Make referrals and liaise with professionals outside of the school, as appropriate
* Provide advice, guidance and training to classroom teachers on supporting pupils with SEN
* Maintain systems for keeping pupil records, ensuring information is accurate and up to date. Including the SEND register, SEND records and SEN information report
* Analyse school, local and national data and develop appropriate strategies and interventions
* Keep up to date with national and local policies related to SEN
* Assist with Annual Reviews for those pupils with an Education and Health Care plan (EHC plan)
* Keep all suitable records available for inspection by JCQ, ISI and /or Ofsted.
The ideal candidate:
* An undergraduate degree in any subject
* A qualification to be a JCQ approved Specialist Assessor (or undertaking to complete this)
* Possess a strong commitment to raising educational attainment for children and young people with SEN, including working with pupils directly and supporting other staff to do so
* Influencing and negotiation skills – to influence school strategy and policy, secure sufficient internal resources, and secure the necessary support from external agencies
* To inspire and motivate other teachers, model good practice, and develop a whole school commitment to supporting pupils with SEN
* Interpersonal skills – for building relationships with parents, teachers, and external professionals
* Written communication skills – for writing learning and support plans, reports on pupil progress, and training and guidance for staff
* Organisation and time-management skills – needed for prioritising and balancing a busy and varied workload
* Empathy and emotional intelligence – in order to recognise and be sensitive to the needs of pupils and parents
* Analytical and problem-solving skills – necessary for analysing school, local and national data and developing appropriate strategies and interventions
* Experience of being a specialist assessor
What you need to do now:
If you’re interested in this role, please click ‘apply now’, email email@example.com or call 0121 817 0400 to find out more.
You will need to complete an application form for this role, this will be sent to you via email after the initial telephone call with the consultant.
If this position isn’t quite right for you but you are looking for a new job in education, please still contact your local Birmingham office on 0121 817 0400 for a confidential discussion on your career and different opportunities that are available.