SEN Teaching Assistant – Sheldon – ASAP
A vibrant, nurturing and innovative Special Needs School in Sheldon, Birmingham is seeking a passionate, caring and resilient Teaching Assistant for a full time ongoing role starting ASAP. You will be expected to support individual pupils or small groups of pupils identified with Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) and Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASC). Pupils will demonstrate extreme avoidance of demands and showcase an anxiety-driven need to be in control. Therefore, PDA/ASC experience and a calm non-confrontational manner is essential for this role.
Register your interest today with Twenty4Seven Education by calling Katie/Allan from the Birmingham office.
This ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted rated Special Needs School caters for pupils aged 2-11 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) including Hearing Impairment (HI), Visual Impairment (VI), Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA), Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASC), Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD) and/or Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD). They create a happy, caring and supportive atmosphere where every pupil is inspired to achieve their potential, develop a love of learning and become as independent as possible.
* You will need to support pupils with their tasks and provide pupils with choices avoiding direct demands
* You will need to communicate to pupils in a collaborative way acknowledging and empathising with the child’s feelings
* You will provide positive detailed and regular feedback to the pupils concerning their learning, achievement and behaviour under the guidance of the class teacher – you may need to use humour, negotiation or distraction
* Identify triggers, look for signs of anxiety and plan strategies accordingly
* You will need to limit the boundaries and allow children to feel in control wherever possible
* You will communicate effectively with the class teacher with regards to the pupils engagement, progress, behaviour and any issues that arise in class or around school
* You will need to complete relevant administration tasks
* A recognised Teaching Assistant qualification – CACHE Level 2/3 Certificate in Support Teaching and Learning or equivalent would be advantageous but not essential
* Experience of supporting pupils identified with having SEND including PDA and ASC
* Experience of assisting with the development and implementation of Educational Health Care Plans (EHCP)
* Good knowledge of the National Curriculum
* Have high expectations of students to ensure they reach their full potential
* Experience of developing pupils’ reading skills by using words, signs, symbols and/or objects of reference is beneficial
* Experience of using communication aids such as British Sign Language, Makaton or PECS is admirable
* Have the ability to effectively manage behaviour using positive strategies
* Demonstrate excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
* Have the ability to form positive professional relationships with young children and staff
* Minimum of 3 months experience of working with children in an educational or similar setting
* Professional reference checks to cover the last 2 years
* Legal right to work in the UK
* Enhanced DBS registered to the Update Service or willingness to pay and apply for a new certificate
* Excellent knowledge of safeguarding children and young adults – you will need an up to date Safeguarding Training Certificate (we provide FREE Safeguarding Training)
The key benefits for working with Twenty 4 Seven Education are:
** Your own dedicated and friendly consultant who is available 24/7
** Competitive rates of pay
** £100 referral scheme for both you and those you recommend (uncapped)*
** FREE or heavily discounted CPD courses including a certified Level 2 Teaching Assistant course, British Sign Language certification, Mental wellbeing of children certification and Paediatric first aid
** 1:1 Education Support training sessions including working with SEN pupils, Behaviour Management etc.
** FREE Safeguarding training
** Early notification of training/courses/workshops
** Minimal administration (no time sheets!)
What you need to do now:
If you’re interested in joining us, please click ‘apply’ and your consultant will be in touch with you to arrange the next steps in the recruitment process.
Twenty4Seven Education provides services as an Education Agency and an Education Employment Business. As members of the REC Twenty4Seven Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and expects every candidate to share this commitment. Placements are subject, to appropriate Child Protection screening, including checks with former employers and the Disclosure and Barring Checks.